AN urgent warning has been issued after several dogs died after drinking water from a “toxic lake” in East London.

Highams Park Lake in Epping Forest, Chingford, was found to be filled with dangerous blue and green algae.

A number of dogs have died after reportedly drinking “toxic” water from Highams Park Lake

The park and lake is managed by the City of London Corporation.

A statement on Highams Park News read: “Warning issued for Highams Park lake as Toxic algae found.

“The Council has been made aware of a number of dogs dying after (it is believed) they drank from Highams Park Lake.

“Post mortem results show the presence of a toxic Blue/Green Algae.

“The City of London Corporation, which manages Epping Forest, is warning visitors against swimming, fishing or taking dogs into the water at Highams Park Lake until testing for suspected toxic blue-green algae blooms have been completed.”


Following that, Epping Forest advised dog owners to bring drinking water while on a walk in the forest.

It said: “Bringing your canine companion for a walk in Epping Forest? Please take care near water and don’t let dogs drinks from or swim in any of the ponds or rivers.

“Water quality is not monitored. Please bring drinking water for your dogs with you.”

Have you been affected by this? If so, we’d love to hear from you.

Contact us on 020 7782 4100 or Text/WhatsApp 07423 720 250 

You can also find us at [email protected]

Similar Posts